No Products in the Cart
Wearing makeup to enhance our features is one of the many reasons why I love it so much. Eyes are one of everyone's most beautiful aspects, and utilizing makeup to make them pop is an art on it's own. Over the past few years, I have noticed that this area isn't as roomy as it used to be, and it has become more "hooded." I’ve been using makeup to help open up my eyes, to be bright & youthful. Here are five tips & tricks I’ve discovered along the way, that can help open up hooded eyes!
1. Apply your transition shade higher than your eyelid area. This technique creates the illusion of a higher eyelid and makes eyes look wider and more awake. Use a soft transition shade, like Sweet Tea or Cobblestone Pressed Eyeshadow, and apply it where you want your brown bone to begin. Make sure you do this with both eyes open so that you can see where to apply the eyeshadow. If you close your eyes and apply the eyeshadow where your brow bone naturally is, the eyeshadow will simply disappear in the crease of your eyelids once you open your eyes. Like an artist, you have the control to create the look you desire with just a few strokes.
Pictured top to bottom: Cobblestone, Coco, Cashmere Pressed Eyeshadows
2. For a bolder look, add a deeper shade. Try applying Coco or Pixi Pressed Eyeshadows to the outer V of your eyelid only. Be careful not to drag the dark color too far into the lower brow bone, as this will make the the entire eye appear sleepy.
3. Use matte eyeshadows on your brow bone, like Cashmere Pressed Eyeshadow. This helps to remove emphasis on the hooded part of your eye.
4. Open up your eyes with big, bold lashes. Use 100% Lash Natural and Organic Mascara to define and lengthen your lashes. Begin with curling your lashes with an eyelash curler and follow with several coats of mascara. If you prefer a more natural look, one coat is sufficient, but I highly encourage you to try two or even three coats! Big lashes also help hide the hooded part of your eye. You will be amazed at how much of a difference that will make in helping your eyes appear larger and more awake!
Apply 3 coats of 100% Lash Natural Mascara for voluminous, eye opening lashes.
5. Add a wing. Use Root's Pretty All Day Gel Eyeliner or 100% Line Liquid Eyeliner to create a wing in the outer corner. These are both perfect liner options for hooded eyes, as they do not smudge! To make your eyes appear more open, limit the wing to the outer portion of your eye. Do not create a thick line, as this will make your eyelid appear smaller. Instead, create a half wing, where you apply the eyeliner to the outer corner of your eye only. Dragging the line into your inner eye is ok, just be sure the line is thin and as close to your lash line as possible.
Create a half wing by starting a thin line in the center, close to lash line, & drag outward.
Makeup is a great way to enhance our features, and Root offers a variety of natural products that help along the way! These tips & tricks can be for everyone, but are particularly useful for those of us with hooded eyes. Do you have any tricks you like to use for hooded eyes? If so, please share them with us below!